The World Bank President, Jim Yong Kim, and UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon will make a joint visit to Africa's Great Lakes region, a World Bank statement said Monday. The visit is to be undertaken in support of a landmark peace agreement and to push for economic development in the troubled region. "The visit will draw attention to the plight of fragile and conflict-affected countries ...
East Bay Township - Some property owners hit by flooding last year during a dam removal project in Michigan's northwestern Lower Peninsula are suing. The Traverse City Record-Eagle reports the lawsuit filed Friday says their property values dropped due to the Boardman River flooding. The suit names the Boardman River Dams Settlement Agreement Implementation Team and others as defendants. ...
Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard (35) stops a shot by Chicago center Jonathan Toews (19) during the second period of their game in Detroit, Monday, May 20, 2013. Detroit won 3-2. (AP Photo/Paul Sancya) DETROIT -- Up and down. Quick as a minute. The compass was broken at Joe Louis Arena, and the game had only two directions: north and south. It was a track meet, a caffeinated pogo stick, all ...
Powerful tornado kills dozens in Oklahoma City: A powerful tornado sweeps through an Oklahoma City suburb, tearing down blocks of homes, two schools and leaving at least 91 people dead, including 20 children, local officials ...
Jude Wade McCree, who has been suspended from his job without pay, is accused of misconduct in office, according to a 20-page complaint filed by the Michigan Judicial Tenure Commission. A hearing, similar to a bench trial, began Monday in Washtenaw County Circuit Court.■ ...
Winds: From the South at 15.0 MPH Gusting to 16.0 MPH
Resident Evil: Afterlife
Before heading into Resident Evil: Afterlife, the fourth installment in the seemingly unstoppable video-game-based franchise, I had to remind myself that I had, in fact, seen two of the previous three installments, not just one. I had skipped out on 2007s ...
Detroit Lions wide receivers coach Tim Lappano, foreground, instructs players during rookie minicamp at the team's training facility in Allen Park on May 11, 2013. / Associated ...
Microsoft is hosting an event at its Redmond, Wash., headquarters today, where it is expected to announce the successor to the Xbox 360. An invitation sent to media outlets last month teases "a new generation revealed."Although few official details have emerged on the new Xbox video game console, industry experts such as Digital World Research analyst P.J. McNealy expect Microsoft to ...
Apple, the tech giant that has made a corporate bonanza by selling iPhones, iPads and iPods to consumers worldwide, has avoided tens of billions of dollars in U.S. taxes on its income and profits, according to a Senate report summary issued Monday and swiftly challenged by the firm.The California-based firm has used a web of offshore ...
Esquire magazine (on newsstands May 31) and says he's never "known life to be any happier."He also says he is convinced he has a condition known as prosopagnosia, or face blindness. In other words, he doesn't recognize people he has met."So many people hate me because they think I'm disrespecting them," he says. "So I swear to God, I took one year where ...
A woman carries her child through a field Monday near the collapsed Plaza Towers Elementary School in Moore, Okla. A tornado as much as half a mile wide, with winds up to 200 mph roared through the Oklahoma City suburbs, flattening entire neighborhoods, setting buildings on fire and landing a direct blow on an elementary school. / Sue Ogrocki / Associated ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Swiss-Grand Resort & Spa, Bondi Beach, Australia
Perfectly positioned alongside Sydney's World famous Bondi Beach, the Swiss-Grand is a great hotel, packed with uniqueness and extras. At ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Detroit StarDetroit Star – Online Newspaper centering on Detroit
The Detroit Star is essentially a local Detroit newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Detroit, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Detroit, Michigan, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Detroit Star.
The Detroit Lions running back, Reggie Bush, and fiance Lilit Avagyan have become parents for the first time following the birth of their baby daughter on Monday.
Avagyan's rep told Us Weekly in a statement that she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and the newborn weighed in at 8 pounds 9 ounces, the New York Daily News reported.
Bush, who dated Kim Kardashian in the past, said that Avagyan was someone he really loves and cares about.
The 28-year-old football star started dating the dancer, 25, about a year and half ago and confirmed the pregnancy back in October 2012.
Bush expressed his feelings on becoming a father for the first time on the Lions' website in April.
"I'm very excited. Very excited about the baby. It's our first one and couldn't have come at a better time," he shared.
"It couldn't have come with a better person. Someone I really love and care about. It's great. It really worked out perfect," he wrote.(ANI)
- Cannes In a Better World Girl with Dragon Tattoo Producers Unite for Viking Epic
- ATT waives overage fees for Oklahoma tornado victims
- Cannes U.K.s Rainmark Films Partners With Germanys Beta for Nordic Crime Thriller
- KKR Exits Australias Seven West Media Tim Worner Promoted to Seven West CEO
- Nokia video ad touts Lumia 928s low-light camera
- Moscow safer than New York Russian minister
- Shocking lawsuit claims NY high schools admissions policy racially biased
- US charges three NYU researchers for taking bribes from Chinese company
- US senators approve immigration changes requiring fingerprint system at 30 airports
- Obama admin to hand over some CIA drone operations to Pentagon
- World Bank UN chiefs to visit African Great Lakes region
- Property owners sue after Boardman River flooding in Lower Peninsula
- NHL playoffs Red Wings get jump on Blackhawks take series lead
- Massive deadly tornado devastates Oklahoma at least 51 killed including 20 children
- Watch live Judge McCrees wife on stand in misconduct case
- Yahoo buys blogging platform Tumblr for $1.1 bn cash
- Actavis buying Warner Chilcott in $8.5bn deal
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Morgan Stanley to sell Indian private banking arm to StanChart
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Matt Ridley has joined the real climate debate
- Pests that bug us have their own ecological importance
- Danzer feels the bite as the FSC show its teeth
- Fallen trees damage homeowners cars
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Detroit Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Nyquist and Millers 30-second burst gives Red Wings edge over Blackhawks
- Man plans walk across Upper Peninsula to support injured veterans
- Grand Rapids police helicopter patrols prompt complaints
- Michigan man heads to trial in 2012 death of infant son
- Boats linked to 2010 Lake Huron oil spill being removed