WASHINGTON GrubHub Inc. and Seamless North America LLC, two of the biggest online services for food-delivery in the U.S., have entered into a definitive agreement to combine their companies to take on rivals in the growing market for online meal orders. The merger will create a combined company well positioned to drive more orders to restaurants, deliver a better experience for hungry diners ...
NEW YORK - Yahoo promised "not to screw it up" as it formally announced its acquisition of the popular Tumblr blogging platform for $1.1bn in cash, giving the company a much-needed base in social media to reach a younger generation of users. The relaxed wording of the memo for one of the internet giant's biggest acquisitions was echoed in the memo sent by David Karp, Tumblr's 26-year-old ...
WASHINGTON/ DUBLIN - Actavis Inc, the largest US generic drug maker by market value, is acquiring Dublin-based Warner Chilcott in a deal worth $8.5billion (5.6billion pounds) including $3billion net debt, to create the third-biggest specialty pharmaceutical company in the country. Under the deal, Actavis, which itself has been the subject of bid speculation, would be offering $5billion in ...
MUMBAI - The UK based Standard Chartered (StanChart) Monday announced plans to acquire the Indian private wealth management business of US multinational financial services firm Morgan Stanley for an undisclosed amount as part of plans to expand operations. The acquisition is subject to regulatory approvals. "Standard Chartered India has agreed to acquire Morgan Stanley's onshore private ...
Stocks indexes hit new highs on Wall Street as investors bank on continued support from the Federal Reserve. Indexes wobbled between gains and losses in early trading, then took a turn higher after James Bullard, head of the Fed's St. Louis branch, said the Fed should keep buying bonds to support the economic recovery. The Dow Jones industrial average rose 52.30 points, or 0.3 percent, to ...
Winds: From the WSW at 13.0 MPH Gusting to 20.0 MPH
The Phantom of Liberty (Le Fantôme de la liberté) [DVD]
As cowriter Jean-Claude Carrire notes in a brief excerpt from a 2000 interview on the new Criterion Collection DVD of The Phantom of Liberty (Le Fantme de la libert), master surrealist and provocateur Luis Buuel was essentially given free reign when making it ... ...
SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) -- Saks Inc. shares jumped in heavy volume late Tuesday following a report that the upscale luxury retailer has hired advisers for a possible ...
-1.51% said Tuesday afternoon that it plans to lay off about 900 of its workers in a cost-cutting move. The announcement was made, which saw earnings slip on a slight increase in revenues. NetApp shares were up 2.1% in after-hours trades on Tuesday following the report. The company also projected a revenue range of $1.48 billion to $1.58 billion for the current quarter, slightly below Wall ...
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Wall Street's watchdog will present a plan to its board in July that would require brokers to tell certain clients about compensation they receive when they switch firms, the regulator's chief said on ...
U.S. Money Funds Return to Eurozone Banks U.S. prime money market funds (MMFs) increased their exposure to eurozone banks in April, although asset allocations to these institutions remain well below 2011 levels, according to Fitch Ratings. As of end-April 2013, MMF allocations to eurozone banks represented 15.1% of assets under management within Fitch Ratings'sample of the 10 largest U.S. ...
* Investors looking for clarity on Fed stimulus program * Dollar index firmer but down from near three-year high * Yen dips after Japan minister says seeks 'balance' for currency * Commodities fall, gold and oil weaker on the day ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Swiss-Grand Resort & Spa, Bondi Beach, Australia
Perfectly positioned alongside Sydney's World famous Bondi Beach, the Swiss-Grand is a great hotel, packed with uniqueness and extras. At ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
Detroit StarDetroit Star – Online Newspaper centering on Detroit
The Detroit Star is essentially a local Detroit newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for Detroit, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of Detroit, Michigan, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the Detroit Star.
The Detroit Lions running back, Reggie Bush, and fiance Lilit Avagyan have become parents for the first time following the birth of their baby daughter on Monday.
Avagyan's rep told Us Weekly in a statement that she gave birth to a beautiful baby girl and the newborn weighed in at 8 pounds 9 ounces, the New York Daily News reported.
Bush, who dated Kim Kardashian in the past, said that Avagyan was someone he really loves and cares about.
The 28-year-old football star started dating the dancer, 25, about a year and half ago and confirmed the pregnancy back in October 2012.
Bush expressed his feelings on becoming a father for the first time on the Lions' website in April.
"I'm very excited. Very excited about the baby. It's our first one and couldn't have come at a better time," he shared.
"It couldn't have come with a better person. Someone I really love and care about. It's great. It really worked out perfect," he wrote.(ANI)
- Samsungs men are pigs ad for TVs gets YouTube love
- Cannes Weinstein Co. Picks Up Reeves-Witherspoon Space Romance Passengers
- Hollywood Docket Digital Music Class Action Aereokiller Settlement Snoop Lion Lawsuit
- ESPN Begins Hundreds of Layoffs
- ESPNs Cherie Cohen Headed to NBCUniversal to Focus on Cable
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Moscow safer than New York Russian minister
- Shocking lawsuit claims NY high schools admissions policy racially biased
- US charges three NYU researchers for taking bribes from Chinese company
- World Bank UN chiefs to visit African Great Lakes region
- Michigans Adventure Opens Tomorrow
- Lawmakers push state to make sure pet coke piles are safe
- Trump to headline Oakland County GOP dinner tonight
- Mich. reveals program to prevent school violence
- One trillion euro tax evasion to be tackled says Barroso
- Overall economy likely to pick up in Q2 says German central bank
- Pfizer discontinues NHL cancer drug development
- GrubHub and Seamless to merge
- Housing market picking up in UK
- South African regulator gives nod for Eskom wind power project
- Loss Of Timber Payments Cuts Deep In Oregon
- Country diary Cotehele Tamar Valley Sid Coombe No 1 among this years thick and gorgeous apple blossoms
- Environmental First Nations activists protest at Sarnia oilsands meeting
- Joint Information Environment Serves Warfighters Official Says
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest Detroit Star headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Former top Detroit library official charged with taking $1.4M in bribes
- Trump to headline Oakland County GOP dinner tonight
- Detroit Mower Gang to spend 24 hours mowing playgrounds
- Tigers lineup Max Scherzer on mound to face red-hot Indians
- GM shifting Treasury jobs from New York to Detroit